I love a challenge and the lovely people over at Jus Rol decided to set me a spring themed challenge. They wanted me to take some of their Jus Rol pastry and create a spring inspired recipe. I began to think.
When I think of spring I think of chickens (possibly due to Easter, who knows), blossom, spring sunshine and the colour green. I wanted to use these inspirations in my recipe and came up with the following
250g natural yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 sheet of Jus a Rol short crust pastry
Selection of green beans and vegetables : I used trimmed beans, magnetout, sugar snap and baby corn
1. Pre heat oven to 180c
2. Grind the sugar and saffron together to make a powder and stir into the natural yoghurt. Put mixture to one side
3. Brown the chicken in a frying pan, once cooked add the vegetables to the pan for 2-3 minutes.
4. Place a sheet of banking paper onto a baking sheet and roll out the shortcrust Jus rol pastry on top.
5 spoon the chicken and veg mixture onto the top of the pastry leaving around 2cm at the edges.
6. Using your fingers turn up the edges of the pastry and pinch to form an edge.
7. Bake in the oven for 25minutes, or until edges of pastry are turning golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and pour over the saffron yoghurt mixutre.
9. Place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes
10. Serve and enjoy.
I used chicken as my meat as from my original thought process on spring. The green beans and veg are from the initial thought of green. I thought the dish would be a little dry without a sauce or topping so created the yoghurt and saffron topping to add some flavour. The smell of saffron reminds me of the blossom which I also associated with spring. The whole dish has a wonderful yellow glow and warmth which is similar to the spring sun.
The whole dish is simple to create and thanks to jus rol ready to roll pastry everything was quick and simple. The saffron adds s beautiful delicate flavour to the dish and for me is light enough to remind me of spring.
I was sent vouchers from Jus Rol to purchase the pastry used in this post.